Friday, February 20, 2015

Book Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Author: Jenny Han
Genre: Contemporary
Published: 2014. Simon & Schuster
Rating: 5/5 Stars

Lara Jean writes one letter to every boy she falls in love with. She keeps them safe in a hat box that her mother, who passed away when Lara Jean was young, gave her. When the letters are accidentally mailed to the boys, Lara Jean must do some damage control. Through this fiasco, Lara Jean learns more about herself than she thought possible.

This book was a delight; I smile every time I think about it. This is the first book by Jenny Han that I've ever read, but now I want to read all of her books. I love the way she writes - it just feels so real and relatable.

I felt like I identified with Lara Jean quite a bit, at least personality-wise. She's pretty quiet, and she prefers to spend time at home doing her own thing over going out and partying. Lara Jean, a high school junior, is the middle child in her family: Margot is a freshman in college and Kitty (Katherine) is in third grade.

I don't have any sisters, but this book made me wish I did. I love the girls' relationship and how they interacted with each other. It seemed like they got do a lot of fun things together. I was jealous. The family dynamic is part of the reason I liked this book so much. Lara Jean's family isn't perfect, but whose is?
I don't know. J Law doesn't know.
I really don't want to give anything else about the story away; it's got some surprises! I loved nearly all of the characters, which is super strange for me. The story flew by so quickly that I stretched out my reading, which was difficult for me; I just didn't want it to end. To All the Boys I've Loved Before has definitely become one of my favorite contemporary books. I seriously can't wait for the sequel! I would recommend this book if you like Stephanie Perkins, Colleen Hoover, or if you're looking for a fun, fluffy, romantic read.

No comments:

Post a Comment