Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Book Review: Rebel Belle

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal
Published: 2014, Putnam Juvenile
Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Rebel Belle's heroine, Harper Price, is the epitome of the Southern belle. She is involved in everything she can possibly be in, and she practically runs her classy private school. Harper is poised to win Homecoming Queen when something bizarre happens: the school janitor transfers strange powers to Harper without explanation, then promptly dies from a sword wound in the girls' bathroom. Harper soon discovers that she is a Paladin, charged with the protection of the one person she despises most. Her meticulously scheduled world is turned upside down as she struggles to figure out her new-found abilities and her role as a protector.

Rebel Belle was an insanely quick read for me. It was fast-paced and funny; I giggled several times while reading it.
This book was a lot of fun, but it didn't stand out as anything special to me. There wasn't anything especially unique about it. That being said, I did enjoy it.

Hawkins' writing is pretty straightforward, which gave the book a bit of a middle-grade feel. That's fine if it's a middle-grade book, but Rebel Belle is not. I like a good middle-grade book now and then, but for something that's technically young adult, Rebel Belle felt kind of young. Not a deal breaker for me, just an observation.

The plot moved very quickly, leaving me constantly turning pages to get to the next event.The characters were decent, although David stood out to me more than Harper did. The supporting characters felt bland and a lot like stock characters, though. This is the first book in a series, so I'm expecting some more character development as the series progresses.

I'd recommend Rebel Belle if you're looking for a fast-paced, fun, and quick read. It won't make you think too hard; it's just pure entertainment. I will continue reading the rest of the series as it's released.

No comments:

Post a Comment