Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Top Five Wednesday: Disappointing Eye Candy

Top Five Wednesday was created by Ginger Reads Lainey. If you are interested in participating, here is the Goodreads page.This is quite the fun topic. Let's be honest, a lot of us pick up books based on the covers. But sometimes the inside doesn't match the outside. Here is some disappointing eye candy!

1. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
This book was just horrible. I tried really hard to like it. It's a Beauty and the Beast retelling, so I had high hopes. Its cover didn't redeem it.
2. The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
This cover is beautiful. And the story revolves around Egyptian mythology, which I am all about. I'm just glad that this book was short and didn't take up too much of my life. Ugh.
3. Entwined by Heather Dixon
This is a retelling of Twelve Dancing Princesses. The cover is gorgeous in person; the silvery parts are shiny. I was just confused a lot during this book, and I found myself wanting it to be over.
4. Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley
This book wasn't entirely disappointing. I did have high hopes for it, though. It was a little weird, but I liked it more toward the end. I'm definitely going to read the sequel.
5. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
This book had a lot of hype around it, and I have had good experiences with other Rainbow Rowell books, so I was looking forward to Landline. Unfortunately, I really disliked it. The story was odd, the characters were unlikable, and it was just a frustrating book.
Bonus! Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
I think I'd stick the entire series into the 'disappointing eye candy' category, but especially the first one. The other two are okay. This was another super-hyped series, but it let me down hard. I just couldn't buy any of the story; nothing made sense. And Kenji was the only decent character.


1 comment:

  1. Yo I have had SO MANY disappointments due to covers misleading me. I know that feel!

    ReplyDelete