Monday, February 16, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Book-Related Problems

I wanted to start doing this weekly feature last week, but I wasn't too keen on the topic. I can definitely come up with some stuff for this one, though! I'm posting this on Monday night because I will be busy all day tomorrow, and I want to make sure this gets posted! This is a list of the top ten book-related problems that I have. Of course, these aren't serious issues, just minor annoyances. Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. Let's get down to business (to defeat the Huns?)!
1. Space - I've officially run out of space for my books, which is a problem, because I want more books. Things are gonna have to get stacked in some really weird ways pretty soon. I really hate doing this, though, because then I can't see all the spines. I just need an in-home library.

2. Ugly covers - I hate looking at books with ugly covers. I admit it, I'm super judgmental. I judge books by their covers, and I like it. This doesn't mean that I'll pass up a book just because it has an ugly cover, but I'm prone to form certain opinions based on how a book looks. Ugly covers typically include some kind of close up on weird-looking person, usually a girl. Also, the colors are probably unpleasant. Some notable ugly covers: the Vampire Academy/Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead, the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, If I Stay/Where She Went by Gayle Forman, The Host by Stephenie Meyer, Mind Games/Perfect Lies by Kiersten White, Vicious by V.E. Schwab, and pretty much all of Alex Flinn's books (the people-on-the-cover versions).

3. Cover changes - This is the main reason why I like to wait until a series is complete until I buy it. I especially can't stand when the change is for the worse. For example, the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis. Just...why?

4. Mismatched formats - On top of matching covers, I also like to have my books match in format. A series needs to be all in hardcover or all in paperback. For longer series, I like to buy them in paperback to save a little money.

5. Waiting for releases - This means two things for me. The first is waiting for the next book in a series. Like I said before, I usually wait until the entire series is out because I hate waiting. If I read a new release and it's in a series, it's often quite a while until the next installment is out. This frustrates me. The second meaning is waiting for a book to come out in paperback. This only applies if it's in a series and I've been collecting it in paperback. It's usually about a year or so after the initial release date when the book comes out in paperback. That's a long, sad amount of time to wait for a book.
6. Different heights - This is kind of like mismatched formats/covers. Occasionally, I come across books in series where one is a different height than the others. Rage ensues. What? How does this happen? Same publisher, same edition, so why is it a different height? Can someone explain please!?

7. Sheer numbers - There are just so many books in the world. There are so many books that I want to read, so many that I want to own. If I could just win the lottery, then I could have all the books.

8. Indecisiveness - This goes along with the insane amount of books I want. Say, for example, that I want to buy three books. Okay, great, right? NO. I have over 200 books on my Amazon wishlist. How am I supposed to pick three out of that? It takes me hours to decide. Seriously, it does.

9. Hype - Hype can be a great thing - it means that a lot of people are really enjoying a book - but it can also be harmful. I fall prey to hype constantly. When I first discovered book videos on YouTube, my purchases were influenced by which books were the most talked about. Hype can either introduce you to a book you'll love or set you up for complete disappointment. There have been several times where I've thought I might have liked a book better if I hadn't heard all the hype; I had high expectations. Having no expectations for a book might be better than having insanely high ones.

10. Dusting - This may sound silly, but I like to keep my books in the best condition possible, and that means dusting fairly regularly. And I have a lot of books to dust. I just want them to be clean! No one wants dusty books, right?

1 comment: