Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Book Review: Jackaby

Author: William Ritter
Genre; Historical/Paranormal
Published: 2014, Algonquin Young Readers
Rating: 4.25/5 Stars

Abigail Rook makes her way to the United States in 1892 after a failed adventure in paleontology. She desperately needs a job, and she happens upon an ad for an investigative assistant. This leads her to the home of R.F. Jackaby, an eccentric, scatter-brained detective who specializes in things normally unseen. Abigail is tossed into the fray immediately, joining Jackaby as he checks out a murder scene, and she becomes involved in world of crime and impossible creatures.

I had heard so many mixed things about this book that my expectations were average to low. I don't know if that had any effect on my enjoyment of it, but I thought Jackaby was incredibly entertaining and fun. Goodreads describes it as a mix of Doctor Who and Sherlock, and that's probably the most accurate description for this book. It's quite short and fast-paced, so I flew through it in just a couple hours. 

I loved the characters. I was impressed by how well-rounded and dynamic they were given the length of the book. Jackaby reminds me very much of Matt Smith in Doctor Who, which I appreciated. Abigail was smart, bold, and brave - she didn't shy away from speaking her mind. 
The minor characters were great as well. They actually served a purpose in the story and weren't just taking up space, and I can see the potential for more character development for them in the subsequent books in this series.

I thought the plot was compelling - it definitely kept me interested the entire time. If you are very squeamish or easily scared, maybe pass on this book. It's not all that bloody or frightening, but there are some scenes that are a  bit gross and creepy. For me, it was just the right amount of gross and creepy. Not over the top, but realistic for the events of the story. If you're looking for something fun with entertaining characters, I highly recommend Jackaby. I've already read the sequel and can't wait for the third book!

2 comments:

  1. This is going on my to-read list ��❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I FOUND YOU. GO ME.
    Okay, this has been on my TBR for the LONGEST time. I really need to read it. It looks super good and I've actually heard really good stuff about it.
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete