Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Book Review: A Study in Charlotte

Author: Brittany Cavallaro
Genre: Mystery
Published: 2016, Katherine Tegen Books
Rating: 5/5 Stars

Jamie Watson and Charlotte Holmes, descendants of the famous Watson and Holmes, meet a prep school in Connecticut that Jamie can only attend because of his rugby scholarship. Jamie wants him and Charlotte to be friends, but their relationship starts out on the wrong foot when their classmate is murdered and the evidence points back to them. As the details of the crime unfold, it appears that the killer is recreating old Sherlock Holmes stories and is attempting to frame Charlotte and Jamie.

I had originally bought this book because of the cover and the summary. Yes, I'm guilty of judging books by their covers. At the time I purchased it, I had heard nothing about it from other reviewers. Right before I picked it up, though, I decided to check what Goodreads had to say. I was a little disappointed to see a lot of mixed reviews, but I still wanted to read it. I ended up loving it. I don't watch any Sherlock-related shows nor have I read the original stories, so I didn't have too many preconceived notions about what the characters and story should be like.

I liked Jamie immediately and Charlotte eventually. Their growth as characters individually and as a duo was impressive; Cavallaro was able to portray significant realistic character development in a fairly short book. Charlotte and Jamie are such complex characters that you really have to read about them to figure them out.

The mystery aspects were smart and entertaining. I was never bored while reading this. I enjoyed seeing the characters work through the mysteries together as their relationship grew. Charlotte continually figured out things that often left Jamie completely baffled, which was amusing to see play out.
Clever girl.
If you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes, try this book. There are some darker topics that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I feel that they make this somewhat far-fetched story more realistic. I've already ordered the second book and can't wait to read it!

1 comment: