Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Book Review: Daughter of the Pirate King

Author: Tricia Levenseller
Genre: Fantasy
Published: 2017, Feiwel & Friends
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Alosa allows herself to be captured by a crew of pirates in order to find an important map that leads to unimaginable treasure, as ordered by her father, the pirate king. She must find the map before her captor's ship makes it to her father to avoid failing him, but the ship's first mate is proving to be a bigger obstacle than Alosa expected.

This would've been a 5-star book for me if it didn't take me so long to get into. I found the beginning third to be slow, but once I was invested, it was wonderful. There aren't enough YA pirate books out there. This one definitely delivered the pirate-ness; there was plenty of amoral behavior and stabbing.
Alosa reminded me quite a bit of Jack Sparrow, which is fine because I love him. It was so entertaining reading from the perspective a female pirate. She was clever, strong, ruthless, and also feminine. Riden, the first mate of the crew, was a great character as well. His chemistry and banter with Alosa was incredibly witty and fun. This book did romantic tension amazingly well.
Minor characters were well-developed, too. Riden's brother, Draxen, was someone I loved to hate. The other crew members had distinct personalities also. I liked reading about Alosa's crew, even though we don't see much of them in this book. 

The plot was just the teeniest bit slow, but the great characters and the twists and turns at the end more than made up for it. I read this from my library, but I think this is a book I'd like to own. I cannot wait until the sequel comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment