Friday, May 5, 2017

Book Review: Sabriel

Author: Garth Nix
Genre: Fantasy
Published: 1995, HarperCollins
Rating: 4/5 Stars

Sabriel's father is the Abhorsen, a mage charged with making sure the dead stay dead on the Old Kingdom side of the Wall. When Sabriel's father goes missing, she must leave her the safety of her boarding school to search for him. She is unprepared and a bit of a novice when it comes to magic, but with the help of a few companions, Sabriel must try to stop an evil that threatens both sides of the Wall.

This book is the first in a series, and it very much feels that way. There is a lot of setup and world-building, but it never felt boring or info-dumpy to me. I read this quite quickly for a fantasy book.

Sabriel was the exact kind of main character that I like. She was level-headed and smart, but she wasn't perfect. She did things wrong, and she didn't know how to get out of every bad situation. I also liked Mogget, her magical cat-companion. Mogget was quite the mysterious character - I'm hoping we find out more about him in future books. He was there to help Sabriel, but he was sarcastic and not always helpful. He was asleep for a decent part of the book, actually. Typical cat.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about Touchstone, the male lead and the love interest, just yet. I thought his relationship with Sabriel was a little odd at first, but I grew to like him more as the story went on. Something I wasn't a fan of was the transformation of their friendship into a romance. It felt out of nowhere to me, but that's my biggest complaint about the book.

The villain and all of the dead zombie-like things were satisfyingly creepy and threatening. I don't have too much to say about Sabriel since it's the first book in a series, but I will be picking up the sequel soon. I look forward to seeing how the plot and characters develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment